- Molecular basis of stress response and studies on the mechanisms of translational regulations in prokaryotes.
- Structural and functional analysis of cellular macromolecular complexes by Cryo-Electron Microscopy, 3D Image processing and molecular biological methods. Current emphasis is on ribosomes.
- Ph.D. (Molecular Biology), Indian Institute of Chemical Biology, Jadavpur University, 2002.
- M.Sc. (Biotechnology), Madurai Kamaraja University, 1995.
- B.Sc. (Ag) Hons, Bidhan Chandra Krishi Viswavidyalaya, 1993.
- Post-Doctoral Researcher - Wadsworth Center, Albany, NY, USA (Oct, 2001 - Aug, 2008)
- Research Scientist - Wadsworth Center, Albany, NY, USA (Aug, 2008 - Nov, 2009)
- Assistant Professor - Indian Institute of Science Education and Research-Kolkata (Dec, 2009 - )
Awards and Honors:
- DBT_RGYI: Started from 2011
- 2007: Robert J. Colinas Award for Outstanding Postdoctoral Research, Wadsworth Center, NY, USA.
- 2000: Young Scientist Award, in the 5th International Conference on Molecular Epidemiology and Evolutionary Genetics of Infectious Diseases, Hyderabad, India.
- 1996- 2001: National Eligibility Test Research Fellowship, Council of Scientific and Industrial Research, India.
- 1993- 1995: Junior Fellow Scholarship in Biochemistry, Indian Council of Agricultural Research, India.
- 1986 -1992: National Merit Scholarship, Govt. of India.
- Datta, P.P., and Bhadra R.K. (2003). Cold shock response and major cold shock proteins of Vibrio cholerae. Appl. Environ. Microbiol., 69, 6361-6369.
- Sharma, M.R., Koc, E.C., Datta, P.P., Booth, T., Spremulli, L.L., and Agrawal, R.K. (2003). Structure of the mammalian mitochondrial ribosome reveals an expanded functional role for its component proteins. Cell, 115, 97-108.
- Palenzuela, L., Hahn, N.M., Nelson Jr., R.P., Arno, J.N., Schobert, C., Bethel, R., Ostrowski, L.A., Sharma, M.R., Datta, P.P., Agrawal, R.K. Schwartz, J. E., and Hirano, M. (2005). Does Linezolid cause lactic acidosis by inhibiting mitochondrial protein synthesis? Clin. Infect. Dis., 40, e113-116.