Synthetic coordination chemistry of transition metal ions with designed organic ligands is central to his research work. His research covers extensive synthesis, molecular (X-ray structure) and electronic structural (magnetic and spectroscopic) characterization, investigation of reactivity (chemical and redox), and understanding of metal-ligand bonding characteristics in which the main focus is the correct description of the electronic structure (based on Density Functional Theory calculations) of compounds containing open-shell organic ligands and paramagnetic metal ions.Academic Background:
- BSc (Honors in Chemistry) University of Burdwan, Burdwan, West Bengal (1973)
- MSc (Specialization: Inorganic Chemistry) University of Burdwan, Burdwan, West Bengal (1976)
- PhD [Supervisor: Professor Animesh Chakravorty, Department of Inorganic Chemistry, Indian Association for the Cultivation of Science, Calcutta: 1978-1982] University of Calcutta, Calcutta (now Kolkata) (1983)
- Post-doctoral Research Associate, Indian Association for the Cultivation of Science (in the laboratory of Professor Animesh Chakravorty), IACS, Calcutta (1983 - 1985)
- Post-doctoral Research Associate (in the laboratory of Professor Richard H. Holm), Harvard University, USA (1985 - 1987)
- Assistant Professor, Department of Chemistry IIT Kanpur (1987 - 1993)
- Associate Professor, Department of Chemistry, IIT Kanpur (1993 - 1995)
- Professor, Department of Chemistry, IIT Kanpur (1995–; on deputation from 01/02/2012 to 31/01/2017)
- Head, Department of Chemistry, IIT Kanpur (2010 - )
- Chair Professor, IIT Kanpur (Poonam and Prabhu Goel Chair) (2011 - 2014)
- Chair Professor at Indian Institute of Technology Kanpur, (Poonam and Prabhu Goel Chair) (2011-2014)
- Priyadaranjan Ray Memorial Award, Indian Chemical Society, Kolkata (2010)
- J. C. Bose Fellowship, Department of Science & Technology, Government of India (2008-2013)
- Elected Fellow of Indian National Science Academy, New Delhi, India (2008)
- Fellow, Indian Academy of Sciences, Bangalore (1999)
- Silver Medal, Chemical Research Society of India, Bangalore, Bangalore (2011)
- Vice President, Chemical Research Society of India (2008- )
- Member, Advisory Board of Dalton Transactions (RSC) (2008-2011)
- Member, Editorial Board of Inorganica Chimica Acta (Elsevier) (2011-2013)
1. A. K. Sharma, F. Lloret, and R. N. Mukherjee, “Phenolate- and Acetate (Both μ2-1,1 and μ2-1,3 Modes)-Bridged Linear CoII3 and CoII2MnII Trimers: Magnetostructural Studies”, Inorg. Chem. 2013, 52, 4825-4833.
2. A. Rajput and R. N. Mukherjee, “Coordination Chemistry with Pyridine/Pyrazine Amide Ligands. Some Noteworthy Results”, Coord. Chem. Rev. 2013, 257, 350-368 (Edward Solomon Invitation Issue).
3. S. Mandal, J. Mukherjee, F. Lloret, and R. N. Mukherjee, “Modeling Tyrosinase and Catecholase Activity Using New m-Xylyl- Based Ligands with Bidentate Alkylamine Terminal Coordination”, Inorg. Chem. 2012, 51, 13148-13161.