- To analyze the feasibility of discovering various theoretically well motivated extensions of the standard model of particle physics in present and future accelerator based experiments - at the Large Hadron Collider at CERN in particular - through simulations and other studies.
- To develop a network of experimentalists and phenomenologists in India for this pur- pose. As a first step a joint DST research project in collaboration with Dr. Manas Maity, Visva Bharati University, a member of the CMS collaboration, is in progress. Such activities will be further augmented within the framework of the Regional Centre for Accelerator Based Particle Physics(RECAPP) at Harish Charndra Research Institute, Allahabad.
- B.Sc. (Physics Honours), Scottish Church College, 1969
- M.Sc. (Physics), Visva Bharati, Shantiniketan, 1971
- Ph.D., Visva Bharati, Shantiniketan, 1974
- Lecturer, Jadavpur University(1981-1987)
- Reader, Jadavpur University (1987-1998)
- Professor, Jadavpur University (1998-2000)
- Professor, Visva Bharati,shantiniketan (2000-2002)
- Professor, Jadavpur University (2002-2008)
- Professor, Indian Institute of Science, Education & Research (IISER), Kolkata (2008 -)
Awards and Honors:
- Alexander Von Humboldt Fellowship (1986)(Visited the Institute for Physics, University of Dortmund, Germany (1986-88); Follow-up visits 1994 (Dortmund), 2002 (Physikalisches Inst., Univ. of Bonn), 2004 (Dortmund), 2007(Bonn).
- Associate Member of the International Centre for Theortical Physics, Trieste, Italy (1991-1996).
- Associate Member of the Institute of Theortical Physics, Beijing, China, (1997-2000).
- Fellow of the Indian National Science Academy, New Delhi.
- Organized the international series of Workshops on High Energy Physics Phenomenology (WHEPP) in different capacities - Secretary of the National Organizing Committee(NOC) in 1991 and 1996, Member of the NOC in 1994,1998, 2000, Working Group Co-ordinator in 1989, 1994, 1998, 2002 and 2004.
- Member of the NOC DAE Symposium on High Energy Physics in 1994-95, 1996 and 1998.
- Member of the Programme Committee of the 21st international Workshop on Weak Inter- actions and Neutrinos (WIN07).
- Member of the Programme Advisory Committee, Regional Centre for Accelerator Based Particle Physics (RECAPP) at Harish Charndra Research Institute, Allahabad.
- Enriching the exploration of the mUED model with event shape variables at the CERN LHC, Amitava Datta, Anindya Datta, Sujoy Poddar (To Appear in Phys. Lett. B).
- Revealing the footprints of squark gluino production through Higgs search experiments at the Large Hadron Collider at 7 TeV and 14 TeV, Biplob Bhattacherjee, Amitava Datta , JHEP 1203 (2012) 006.
- Low mass neutralino dark matter in mSUGRA and more general models in the light of LHC data, Nabanita Bhattacharyya, Arghya Choudhury, Amitava Datta Phys. Rev. D 84, 095006 (2011).