For Spring 2023 PhD Admissions apply through IISER Kolkata Website
We work on the synthesis of molecules, study the kinetics. photochemical, and photophysical properties of the synthesized molecules to understand their behavior. Our molecules toggle between two structures using light and we utilize the structural changes to control several properties such as aggregation-disaggregation, supramolecular assembly - disassembly, differential binding properties, and so on.
How does nature make, transform, and manipulate biological molecules? This lecture course focuses on the fundamentals of chemical reactions in biological systems and more importantly, the chemical logic behind them.
This teaching course traces a reaction mechanism as a step by step sequence of elementary reactions by which overall chemical change occurs.
This lecture course features concepts that explain the process of determining the chemical structure of a compound. The characterization techniques taught include Nuclear Magnetic Resonance (NMR), mass spectrometry, and X-ray crystallography among others.
Many moons ago, when I was teaching the spectroscopy lab, a cool and easy experiment to obtain the C=O stretch in the electronic excited state was designed. It did not require any expensive instruments and expertise. It requires skills in basic arithmetic though!
Do you know that about 8% of the male population and 0.5% of the female population worldwide are color blind? Keeping that in mind, we have developed an Android based app "Titration ColorCam" and provided details of it in the paper in the Journal of Chemical Education.
MSc IIT Kanpur, Research Fellow
Msc, IIT Kharagpur, Senior Research Fellow
MSc, IISER Kolkata, Research Fellow
Senior Research Fellow
MSc, IIT Kharagpur, Research Fellow
MSc, IIT Guwahati, Senior Research Fellow
MSc, IIT Delhi, Senior Research Fellow
MSc, IIT Bombay, Senior Research Fellow
1. Dr. Joydev Hatai. Currently PostDoc at The University of Duisburg-Essen, Germany (previously PostDoc at Weizmann Institute, Israel).
2. Dr. Suman Pal. Previously PostDoc at National Chemical Laboratory Pune, India.
3. Dr. Mousumi Samanta. Currently PostDoc at Ben-Gurion University, Israel.
4. Dr. V. Siva Rama Krishna. Currently Scientist at Indian Space Research Organisation, India (previously Assistant Professor at National Institute of Technology Warangal, India).
5. Dr. Biswajit Roy. Currently PostDoc at Indian Institiute of Technology, Guwahati.
6. Dr. Atuir Rahman.. Currently PostDoc at Pohang University of Science and Technology, South Korea.
7. Dr. Monochura Saha. . Currently PostDoc at MIT, USA
1. Arghya Modak. Currently at Oxford University, UK.
2. Alok Shaurya. Currently at University of Victoria, British Columbia-Canada.
3. Saswata Roy. Currently at University of California, Irvine.
4. Anurag NP. Currently at University of Texas, Arlington.
5. Ankita Biswas. Currently at University of California, Irvine.
6. Balraj Rathod. Currently Educational Technology Researcher at Indian Institute of Technology, Bombay.
7. Sruthy Baburaj.Currently at Bowling Green State University, Ohio
8. Samyadeb Mahato.Currently at Simon Fraser University, Canada.
9. Ashish Ninan Chacko.Currently at University of California, Santa Barbara.
10. Arjit Ghude.
11. Sudeep K. Currently at Stony Brook University, Newyork.
12. Shayak Biswas. Currently at University of Florida, Gainsville.
1. Arghya Banerjee.
2. Jagriti Banerjee, IISER Bhopal.
3. Raghupathy Raju. Scientist at Infrag.
4. Sk. Atiur Rahaman. Joined our group as a Ph.D. student.
5. Avilasha Annanya Sandilya, IIT Madras
We are always keen to go to schools, colleges, to deliver talks and take part in discussions for the promotion of chemical education, history of science and prospects of science education.
With the students and Prof. Hassan at INSA workshop 2014, Malda
Subhajit Bandyopadhyay did his MSc from Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Kanpur. He did his doctoral research under the supervision of Professor Reginald Mitchell at University of Victoria, British Columbia. This was followed by a postdoctoral position with Professor Ron Breslow at Columbia University in the city of New York. Following the footsteps of all his gurus, he believed that his education would be incomplete without a Cambridge education. Therefore, he spent a year with Prof. Florian Hollfelder's lab at the University of Cambridge before joining IISER Kolkata as an Assistant Professor.
You can reach him at: sb1[at]iiserkol.ac.in
Have an idea to share? Contact us